Most of the analysis is based on my own plastic use data tracked using MyPlasticDiary. The app itself gives you some plastic use stats to see if you are on track against the goals you set. At the moment you can’t export data, but the team behind the app was super helpful in sharing a csv file with me when I got in touch. Data for plastic in period products was sourced from wen and the European Commission.
There was no need for extensive data cleaning and I made only small adjustments. I changed the weight recorded for Tetra Paks to 20% of their full weight, as this article suggests 14% of Tetra Paks are plastic sheets and 6% bioplastic caps. As I only started recording on the 6th of January 2021, I used data from January 2022 for those first few missing days.
Analysis was done in python as well as most of the visualisations using matplotlib and calplot. All my code can be found on Github.